Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Harveys Hump Day - Quest for....

I have this CRAZY AMAZING GREAT FRIEND!!! She has come into my life as if she was always there. She helps with my homework, we visit each other, she is great with my boys. Payton cannot say Amy so he calls her Mayme. (FYI Amy, he is asking where you are.) She has even brought a few of my most prized bags into my collection. She is just all around great. So when she FINALLY found "the one" I knew she needed to share.

(Left to right Top Me and Amy. Bottom Payton and Preston)

Hi, my name is Amy and I am addicted to Harveys.  I am also a HUGE enabler, but I can’t help myself.  I love Harveys, and I want everyone to love them as much as I do.  I am also a self confessed purse hoarder.   Actually, I am a hoarder of many things…books, shoes, books, books, oh and did I mention books? But right now, my “hoarding” attentions are focused on those fabulously chic, made in America bags – HARVEYS!

Of all my Harvey’s friends, my husband, Charles, has to be my biggest enabler.  “I bought this one,” I’d say…and he would say, “How come you didn’t buy 2?”  My two dogs seriously believe that my Harveys bags are made of dog treats, because I keep them locked up, where they are inaccessible by the dogs.  “Seriously, Mommy, if they taste so good that you have to hide them behind a locked door, why can’t you just share?!?”


MY QUEST FOR COPPER

It was like a magical, bigger than life, honest to goodness treasure hunt. 

At some point in my young Harveys life, I had seen a Copper Convertible Tote for sale on the Harveys Web site.  “I have to have one!” I said, “but not right now…I have to have “that” and “that, and “that!”  In my mind, copper could wait. 

Unfortunately, copper couldn’t wait.  As soon as they became scarce as hen’s teeth, of course – I HAD TO HAVE ONE.  No, a Large Tote won’t do, I have to have the glorious CT.  The copper CT very quickly became one of my “grail bags.”  I knew there was one out there for me, but patience is not one of my virtues.

Point of Interest – A grail bag is loosely defined as “a bag so scare that it will be nearly impossible to find someone who is willing to give theirs up, or will be so exorbitantly expensive when you do find it, you will seriously contemplate selling an organ to afford it.  Or one of your children/spouse/animals/etc.”

I had a few other “grail bags” on my most-wanted list.  But copper was the first and foremost.  Every time the question went out about “your most sought after bag” – I was always there waving my hand, screaming COPPER!  My wonderful group of Harveys friends calmly accepted the fact that I was seriously deranged, and had to have this bag. They were so nice, that every time a copper bag went up for sale, they would send me a note to let me know.  So sweet, and so enabling….and I love them for it.

A very good friend of mine, who is also a serious Harveys fan, actually questioned my sanity in my pursuit of the elusive copper CT….did a copper CT really exist? Or was I hallucinating? “Sigh…no, I really saw it…I did! Honest!”

One Sunday night, not too long ago, I got a private message on Facebook from another Harveys fan, informing me that a copper CT had just shown up for sale on eBay.  “Isn’t this the one you are looking for?”  I immediately logged onto my eBay account and found my precious copper CT sitting right there with a BIN.  Holy crap!  My hands shook while I logged into PayPal to pay for it, thinking someone might snipe it out from under me before I could complete the transaction….whew!  I was able to pay for the little beauty and start dreaming about its arrival.  I couldn’t wait to get it my grubby little paws on it.

When it arrived, and I opened the box, I swear I heard a chorus of angels in the distance. And, there she was, in all her delicious copper glory!  Wow. I was shocked.  I loved her instantly.  Pictures were posted almost immediately, but not before I dressed her up with a large topaz rosette, which I bought a loooooong time ago, specifically for my yet-to-be-found copper CT.  One of my very good Harveys friends says I go for “statement bags,” and there is no louder statement than copper!



Even my husband loves her, although when he first saw her, he said, “she is pretty but she’s not Caddie.”  Caddie is his all time favorite Harveys bag. Ever.

Now that I have her, I look back on some of my prior Harveys purchases and realize that I have bought a few bags that I thought would substitute for copper, but did not quite fill that void…TreeCycle Carriage Satchel, which has no copper in the pattern, but does have a copper rosette affixed to the front; Herring Bone Carriage Satchel, which is really crazy because it isn’t even a “metal” color; and, a bunch of others that were not the right color and/or size.  All because I was searching for a substitute for the bag of my dreams and was being wholly unfulfilled by these substitutes.    


My treasure hunt or this elusive bag is over.  Right now, I’m not “grailing” for any bags,  but I’m sure something will catch my eye, from a previous season, and I will begin my quest over again…I hope to one day have a closet full of Harveys, and a bunch of statement bags, but my copper CT will always be nearest and dearest to my heart.

Yay!!! She found it. It is like a fairy tale story with its happy ending. I cannot wait to hit So Cal with Amy next month. We will be at the Harveys release of the Fall LTD (in So Cal) on September 24th, with BELLS ON!!! Getting to see my fam and Disneyland are just AWESOME perks!! LOVE YOU AMY!!!

1 comment:

  1. All I have to say is Amy has to be one of the nicest people I know, and I have never met her! Great post ladies!

    ReplyDelete