Sunday, May 29, 2011

Homemade Strawberry Freezer Jam

Today I decided to try my had at making some strawberry jam. The kids eat a lot of PB & J and we all love toast so it seemed like a good fit. Here is what I did.


I needed:
1/4 cup of lemon juice
1 cup of light karo syrup
1 box of pectin
4 cups of sugar
3 1/4 cups of pureed strawberries

Wash and trim the strawberries
Purees the strawberries 1 cup at a time leaving some chuncks


Pour the strawberries and lemon juice into a pot.
Gadually stir in 1 box of pectin and set aside for 30 minutes stirring every 5 minutes.
Then stir in karo syrup.

I bought new jars since today was the first time I have tried something like this. I got the 1 pint wide mouth jars. You can save jars throughout the year and not have to buy any.

Be sure to wash the jars and lids before use.

Cook the strawberry mix on low stirring in the sugar gradually, constantly stirring. Cook for 2-3 minutes. do not let the mix get too hot.
Pour into glass jars leaving 1/2 inch for freezer expansion. After 5 minutes put the lids on and clean of the jars from any sticky mess. Every 3-4 hours turn the jars to prevent the strawberries from setting in one place.

After about 24 hours (time allowed for jam to set) put the jars in the freezer. Jam can remain in the freezer for up to two years!! If you are ready to use on, just take it out of the freezer and defrost in the fridge.

Here's hoping my Jam turns out well. I doubled my recipe so it made 8 pints.
Happy Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment